Posted on October 19th, 2015 by skirschner
It’s Finally Here! The 19th Annual Cincinnati Canstruction competition will take place on March 8, 2016, so now is the time to get involved. Download the Call For Entries 2015 form here.
Teams will be ‘canstructing’ their sculptures in several downtown locations including the Weston Art Gallery and the Aronoff Center, (and a few others to be named soon). Each team will have 5 hours to complete the building of their gigantic food structure.
On March 9, 2016 our celebrity jurors will travel to each location to view the structures and deliberate to choose winners in the following categories:
- Best Meal – Awarded for the best variety of cans that would be most useful for a complete, balanced meal.
- Best Use of Labels – Awarded for the best variety of cans that helps the design of the structure be articulated by the labels.
- Structural Ingenuity – Awarded for the best use of the math and physics to help the structure defy gravity and stand in position.
- Jurors’ Favorite – This award is give to the structure that receives the most votes from the jury.
- CAN Spirit Award – Award given to the structure that uses the MOST cans in their sculpture.
Winners will be announced on Friday, March 11, 2016 at the 19th Annual Cincinnati Canstruction Awards Gala to be held at the Fifth Third Theater at the Aronoff Center.
The Canstruction exhibit will be on display from March 8 – March 27, 2016. There is no charge for admission, but the public is encouraged to bring canned goods or make a donation to the Freestore Foodbank
Posted on March 11th, 2015 by skirschner
It’s official — winners of the 18th annual Cincinnati Canstruction competition were announced on Friday, March 7th during the Cincinnati Canstruction ‘Can-Do’ Celebration and Awards Presentation at the Fifth Third Theater of the Aronoff Center for the Arts. Co-Chairs Kelly Hollatz and Stephanie Kirschner served as emcees for the evening and had the pleasure of announcing the winners.
- Honorable Mention – “Donut Mind if I Do…” by MSA Architects
- Best Meal – “We’re All MAD About Hunger Here” by Architects Plus/HGC Construction
- Best Use of Labels – “We CAN Send Hunger Flying” by Champlin Architecture
- Structural Ingenuity – “Putting Hunger on the Map” by Reztark Design Studio
- Jurors’ Favorite – “Dump Hunger and Find Yourself a Gentleman” by GBBN Architects
The CAN Spirit Award, given to the team that has the most cans in their structure and sponsored by Oswald Companies, was awarded to the PEDCO E & A Services team for their rendition of our own Mr. Reds mascot “Strike Out Hunger”. The structure contained 16,396 cans.
The public is invited to help select the winner of our final prize – the People’s Choice award. Vote on our Facebook page – Facebook.com/CinciCan. To case your vote, “Like” our page then click on the Canstruction People’s Choice Award Album to view the entries.
As Friday night’s event, the total can count was 66,441 cans of food for the Freestore Foodbank. Once the structures come down and weighed, we’ll announce our total weight donation for 2015.
A big THANK YOU to everyone to participated this year! Be sure to check out our Team and Sponsor pages for all of our partners.
Posted on October 10th, 2014 by skirschner
The 18th Annual Cincinnati Canstruction competition has come to life!
Our teams have completed building their structures, will remain on display to the public through Sunday, March 22nd. Be sure to join us for one of our Saturday “Strut the Structure” walking tours. Details Available Here. It’s FREE and family-friendly.
Voting is now open for our People’s Choice Award and you can help choose the winner. Here’s how it works. Like us on Facebook and view our 18th Annual Cincinnati Canstruction Team Album. “Like” your favorite team structure (1 Like = 1 Vote). Voting continues through Sunday, March 22nd at 5:00 pm eastern. The team with the most votes will be awarded our People’s Choice award, which will be announced on Monday, March 23rd. Vote early and tell your friends to do the same!