Posted on February 15th, 2014 by skirschner
It’s Finally Here! The 17th Annual Cincinnati Canstruction competition occurred on Tuesday, March 11, 2014. 14 teams ’canstructed’ their sculptures in 6 locations in the downtown area including the Weston Art Gallery/Aronoff Center, the Downtown Public Library, the Contemporary Arts Center, the Scripps Center, Center at 600 Vine, and the Hyatt Regency Hotel. Each team had 5 hours to complete the building of their gigantic food structure. Official photos will be posted soon. Be sure to check out our Facebook page for some of the fun activity from the day.
On Thursday, March 13, a panel of jurors will travel to each location to view the structures and deliberate to choose winners in the following categories:
- Best Meal – Awarded for the best variety of cans that would be most useful for a complete, balanced meal.
- Best Use of Labels – Awarded for the best variety of cans that helps the design of the structure be articulated by the labels.
- Structural Ingenuity – Awarded for the best use of the math and physics to help the structure defy gravity and stand in position.
- Jurors’ Favorite – This award is give to the structure that receives the most votes from the jury.
- CAN Spirit Award – Award given to the structure that uses the MOST cans in their sculpture.
Winners will be announced on Friday, March 14, 2014 at the 17th Annual Cincinnati Canstruction Awards Gala to be held at the Fifth Third Theater at the Aronoff Center. Click here for ticket information.
The Canstruction exhibit will be on display from March 11 – March 23, 2014. There is no charge for admission, but the public is encouraged to make a donation to the Freestore Foodbank using the QR code posted at any of the 6 downtown locations.