Posted on March 10th, 2013 by skirschner
The votes have been cast and the people of Greater Cincinnati have spoken. The winner of the 2013 People’s Choice Award during the Cincinnati Canstruction competition is GBBN Architects for their rendition of “Give a Man a Fish…”. The vote took place on the Cincinnati Canstruction Facebook page through March 10th. Thanks to everyone to took the time to view the entire Canstruction album and cast a vote.
Posted on February 23rd, 2013 by skirschner
It’s official — winners of the 16th annual Cincinnati Canstruction competition were announced on Friday, February 22nd during the Cincinnati Canstruction Awards Gala at the Fifth Third Theater of the Aronoff Center for the Arts. Bob Herzog from Local 12 News served as Emcee for the evening and had the pleasure of announcing the winners.
- Honorable Mention – “Eradicating Hunger Requires Concrete Action” by Turner Construction Company
- Best Meal – “America’s Favorite Sandwich – The Hamburger” by Jostin Construction
- Best Use of Labels – “Fishing to Fight Hunger” by BHDP Architecture/Messer Construction
- Structural Ingenuity – “CAN a Glass be Half Full?” by Hixson Architecture Engineering Interiors
- Jurors’ Favorite – “Give a Man a Fish…” by GBBN Architects
The CAN Spirit Award, given to the team that has the most cans in their structure and sponsored by Oswald Companies, was awarded to the team of KZF Design/Danis for their rendition of “Can Wars”. The structure contained 5,404 cans.
A total of 57,071 cans were presented to the Freestore Foodbank during the program and the public is encouraged to visit the structures and bring a canned good donation to one of the sites as a donation.
The public is also invited to help select the winner of our final prize – the People’s Choice award. Voting takes place on our Facebook page – Facebook.com/CinciCan. ”Like” our page then click on the Canstruction People’s Choice Award Album to view the entries. Like your favorite to cast your vote. Voting continues until 5:00 pm Eastern on Sunday, March 10th. Winners will be announced here on Monday, March 11, 2013.
Posted on February 5th, 2013 by skirschner
It’s Coming! The 16th Annual Cincinnati Canstruction competition begins on Tuesday, February 19, 2013 at 8:00 am. 14 teams will be ‘canstructing’ their sculptures in 5 locations in the downtown area including the Weston Art Gallery/Aronoff Center, the Downtown Public Library, the Contemporary Arts Center, the Scripps Center, and Macy’s Fountain Place. Each team will have 5 hours to complete the building of their gigantic food structure.
On Wednesday, February 20, a panel of jurors will travel to each location to view the structures and deliberate to choose winners in the following categories:
- Best Meal – Awarded for the best variety of cans that would be most useful for a complete, balanced meal.
- Best Use of Labels – Awarded for the best variety of cans that helps the design of the structure be articulated by the labels.
- Structural Ingenuity – Awarded for the best use of the math and physics to help the structure defy gravity and stand in position.
- Jurors’ Favorite – This award is give to the structure that receives the most votes from the jury.
- CAN Spirit Award – Award given to the structure that uses the MOST cans in their sculpture.
Winners will be announced on Friday, February 22, 2013 at the 16th Annual Cincinnati Canstruction Awards Gala to be held at the Fifth Third Theater at the Aronoff Center. Click here for ticket information.
The Canstruction exhibit will be on display from February 19 – March 10, 2013. There is no charge for admission, but the public is encouraged to bring a canned good or make a donation to the Freestore Foodbank.
Posted on January 30th, 2011 by skirschner
Last year, Cincinnati was in the Top 5 Cities to raise the most food during the entire Canstruction competition. We raised over 54,990 lbs of food – that’s over 40,692 meals – for the 2010 Canstruction Competition! Let’s beat that for 2011!